2 or 3 piece ?
3-piece rims are made of :
- A wheel centre , that can be made in forged or cast aluminium.
- A lip (outer) (also called rim lips or rim dishes), that can be made of aluminium or stainless steel. It is polished or satin. The outer lip has a stepped profile in order to allow for the tyres to be mounted easily. A hump, close to the outer border of the rim, prevents the tyre from sliding.
- A barrel, that presents a cylindric profile to give space for voluminous brake calipers.
The wheel centre, lip and barrel are assembled together with special screws and are waterproof sealed with a specific silicone.
2-piece rims have been created by BBS, with the BBS RSII and RX II models.
There are different types of 2-piece rims:
- those where the wheel centre and the barrel together are forming a unique element, on which a lip is then mounted.
- those where lip and barrel are forming a unique element together, to which the wheel centre is then mounted.
Besides, it is possible to use a wheel centre designed for a 2-piece wheel in a 3-piece mounting. We can produce specific lips and barrels for such projects.
Conclusion : 2-piece wheels are not easy to modify. 3-piece wheels, such as those we produce, are easy to repair and to custom.